Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A question  (Read 3909 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
A question
« on: April 23, 2006, 01:53:49 PM »
You know how, when someone makes a match on the 60s Match Game, you hear that low, dull *clung* and then the standard *ding*?

What makes that sound?

Is it the name trilons on the front of the desk?

Or am I just hearing things?
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
A question
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 02:30:17 PM »
The dull *clung*, I mean.

I know about the *ding*.

The *clung*, not the *ding*. =)
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
A question
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 03:15:13 PM »
You know how, when someone makes a match on the 60s Match Game, you hear that low, dull *clung* and then the standard *ding*?

What makes that sound?
<smartass>The "ding" is made by a bell. The "clung" is Ted Cooper breaking wind.</smartass>

Veal.

I miss Ted. I wish he were still with us. I would ask him this question.

DrBear

A question
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 02:43:03 PM »
I think the "clung" is the loud sound made when the contestant's name plate flips around to show "MATCH" and the ding is the scoreboard adding another 25 points.

It sounds roughly like an electric motor flipping the plate; there could be an electromagnet to hold it in place as the game continues.

Of course, I was 10 at the time.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
A question
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 07:30:10 PM »
That's an awfully loud motor.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
A question
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 07:47:06 PM »
Indeed it is.

That's what I thought it was, actually; my thought was more along of the lines of a hammer-bell combo hiding behind that trilon.

But whatever works. =)

MrBuddwing

A question
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 03:21:14 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'116921\' date=\'Apr 24 2006, 07:47 PM\']
Indeed it is.

That's what I thought it was, actually; my thought was more along of the lines of a hammer-bell combo hiding behind that trilon.

But whatever works. =)
[/quote]

According to my childhood recollection, it wasn't so much a "clung" as a "buh-ZAT!" sound. I'm sure it was a sound effect, just like the "ding!"

uncamark

A question
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 12:44:11 PM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'117028\' date=\'Apr 26 2006, 02:21 AM\']
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'116921\' date=\'Apr 24 2006, 07:47 PM\']
Indeed it is.

But whatever works. =)
[/quote]

According to my childhood recollection, it wasn't so much a "clung" as a "buh-ZAT!" sound. I'm sure it was a sound effect, just like the "ding!"
[/quote]

To me, it just seemed like it was the actual sound of the trilon turning over.  The only bell was when the score strip lit up--which of course was added by the sound effects man.

MrBuddwing

A question
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 01:45:41 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'117048\' date=\'Apr 26 2006, 12:44 PM\']
To me, it just seemed like it was the actual sound of the trilon turning over.  The only bell was when the score strip lit up--which of course was added by the sound effects man.
[/quote]

Ah, but then why didn't the "trilons" make the same sound when they were flipped back to the "name" position? I suspect when the trilon (interesting term) was flipped to say "MATCH," it was done with some device that also triggered a sound effect.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
A question
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 05:31:52 PM »
Actually, in one episode, I caught the trilon turning back to the name side.

It resets slowly; maybe that's why you don't hear a sound when it turns back.

Oh, and for MrBuddwing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilon

DrBear

A question
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 10:25:56 AM »
It's simple, really; if you have an electromagnet, it only operates to flip the sign to the MATCH side; when it goes back, the magnet loses its power and the card goes back.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
A question
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 11:05:35 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'117145\' date=\'Apr 27 2006, 07:25 AM\']
It's simple, really; if you have an electromagnet, it only operates to flip the sign to the MATCH side; when it goes back, the magnet loses its power and the card goes back.
[/quote]
And one could extrapolate from there that with that technology, the charge probably drained out slowly, which explains the slower flip-back on the card.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TwoInchQuad

A question
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 08:11:40 PM »
Well, the whole thing was an added sound effect, cued by the reveal of a correct matching response.  And that's easy to verify, because although the same type of displays were used, the sound effect is noticeably different in the pilot than it is on the subsequent regular series episodes.

And of course, the **ding** is easy; but the first part always reminded me of the sound of some sort of cash register motor.

There are a few sounds from my youth that instantly bring back memories, and that's one of my favorites.

-Kevin

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
A question
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 10:34:10 PM »
There are a few sounds from my youth that instantly bring back memories, and that's one of my favorites.
Would you care to share a wav file of it?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 10:34:47 PM by chris319 »

Don Minyard

A question
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 12:44:44 AM »
Kevin, you are right on the money with the cash register motor sound effect.  My mom says I used to drive her crazy running around the house saying "whoosh-ding." The whoosh started with a "d" sound, though.